Re: A possible LAST_ACK DoS and fix (Please CC: me)

From: Christopher Li (christopher.li@turbolinux.com.cn)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 23:53:30 EST

Hi, Wang Jian,

Here is a compare on the site which have this LAST_ACK problem.

The fist number is the established connection and the second one is
the conection is the LAST_ACK stage.

[root@cl /root]# netstat -n|grep EST|wc -l;netstat -n|grep ACK|wc -l
     45
    137
[root@cl /root]# netstat -n|grep EST|wc -l;netstat -n|grep ACK|wc -l
     43
    264
[root@cl /root]# netstat -n|grep EST|wc -l;netstat -n|grep ACK|wc -l
     47
    740

It is in about 1 min,LAST_ACK keep on growing very fast.

[root@cl /root]# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_last_ack_retries
[root@cl /root]# netstat -n|grep EST|wc -l;netstat -n|grep ACK|wc -l
     61
     98
[root@cl /root]# netstat -n|grep EST|wc -l;netstat -n|grep ACK|wc -l
     58
     82

After enable the tcp_last_ack_retries, the number of LAST_ACT connection
seems being controled.

  Regards,
Christopher Li