How to find a `lost' ext2fs partition?

From: Bram (bram@avontuur.org)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 16:02:35 EST

Hello,

I know this is not exactly the appropriate forum to discuss such matters,
but it's the only thing I can think of right now. You know where you can
put the flames ;=)

I just made the stupid mistake we all do twice before making (really regular)
backups: I messed up my disks's partition table and (most likely) the first
2.5gb of data that was on it. However, all my linux partitions are way
beyond that point, and as such should still be on the disk. The obvious
question therefore is: Is it possible to find these partitions and get
files from them, and what's the best way to do just that? All the partitions
contain ext2 filesystems, except for the first one, which was a 6Gb fat32
partition. I care about the ext2 partitions most, tho it would be nice if
it's possible to get data from the fat32 slice too. If the format in
win98se's dos mode is not destructive, it should still contain its files
too.

PS: The way I destroyed the data was by hooking up 2 disks as the primary
(ide) HD on the same controller, erase all partitions with dos fdisk,
and then create a 2.5Gb primary partition and formatting it with dos
format.

Thanks in advance,

Bram, and a giant pot of hot black coffee.