Re: Ethernet-multiple NICs and laptop

From: David Elliott (dfe@infinite-internet.net)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 04:25:45 EST

Actually, I think Windows does the equivilant of this in user space. That is, it
internally numbers the devices as they appear just like Linux would, but then the
network code takes care of knowing which interface is supposed to have which
settings. So it's basically the same thing as this cool little hack.

Actually, I think Red Hat should fix their network scripts to do this. That is,
configure the card based on the MAC address and not the kernel number.

Very good idea.

-Dave