Re: use video ram as system ram ?

From: Darrell Wright (beached@lakeheadu.ca)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 20:35:32 EST

I seem to remember about 5 yearts ago there were quite a few DOS shareware
utilities to do this. This is back when RAM still cost $300CDN for an eight
megabyte SIMM. But I, also, remember hearing a few warnings about fried video
cards. Not sure how it would happen as it is the same a weird garbage on the
screen. But many people put weird garbage on the screen when they start
assembly programming anyways, and extra pages are used for double buffering on
most applications. I'm surprised this didn't get eaten into windows as a lot
of good utilities did seeing as its memory usage is so high.

Darrell Wright

 On Thu, 06 Apr 2000, you wrote: > On 6 Apr, Michael
Meissner wrote: > +----- > | This reminds of a hack I saw when I was in
college (1975 - 1979, which as my > | daughter likes to inform me, was when
dinosaurs roamed the earth :-). The > | unveristy had a couple of Terak
(spelling?) computers that had a P-code Pascal > | compiler on them. The
compiler would use the black and white video memory as a > | scratch pad (and
naturally get 'random' patterns on the screen). After some > +--->8 > > Yep,
I remember them. Terak IVs at the College of Wooster in summer > 1981, where I
was at a week-long "computer camp". UCSD p-System was a > definite step up
from my (then) previous experience with TRS-80 Level II > BASIC.... >