Re: Forcing eth1 for pcmcia card

From: David Hinds (dhinds@valinux.com)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 12:14:02 EST

> All works fine with the cards, however when I'm undocked, the kernel
> insists on making my PCMCIA card eth0 instead of eth1 (undocked eth0 is
> "unplugged"). How can I force the 3C575 to be eth1 even undocked?

As far as I know, you can't. The meaning of "eth0" is "whichever
network interface the kernel set up first". So the problem is that
various network configuration tools want "eth0" to mean a specific
piece of hardware. You can debate whether the problem is the fault of
the kernel (for dynamically renaming interfaces), or the fault of the
scripts (for treating interface names as static entities).

It can be worked around in user space by fiddling with scripts, but
not particularly elegantly. The PCMCIA config scripts do it cleanly,
but it's harder if you're mixing non-PCMCIA and PCMCIA interfaces.

-- Dave Hinds