RE: How to Determine Which Kernel

From: Dunlap, Randy (randy.dunlap@intel.com)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 17:52:51 EST

> My configuration file for building drivers does:
>
> echo "Checking for SMP capability"
> if uname -v | egrep SMP>/dev/null; then
> echo "CFLAGS += -D__SMP__" >>.config
> echo "This machine has SMP capability"
> else
> echo "This machine is not SMP capable"
> fi
>
> It works for me. Standard discalimer, 30 m or 30 s.

On my machine, the "SMP" string is there because
I built the 2.3.99-preN++ kernel with SMP support.
However, the machine (hardware) does NOT have SMP
capability, even if the OS does....

Just pointing out that the string does not echo the
hardware, just your previous *config, and they can
be opposites in either direction (says SMP on UP,
or says UP on SMP).

~Randy