Re: Source code for Linux XFS now available!

From: Peter Rival (frival@zk3.dec.com)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 09:53:41 EST

Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> > Many of the more advanced XFS features are yet to be completed:
> >
> > Guaranteed Rate IO
> > Direct IO (Raw I/O)
>
> Direct I/O seems to be not a fs issue for me ...

No, Direct I/O _is_ an FS issue. Direct I/O != raw devices. It's more like taking both of them,
slamming them together, and coming up with something really fast that people like Oracle get all
sorts of excited about. It's actually very cool, and I'd imagine not too hard with all the work sct
(et. al.) put in 2.3 with kiobufs and all.

 - Pete