Re: block_dev.c not backward compatible with 2.2.15 APIs

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 11:11:37 EST

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> The get_blkfops function is no longer exported from the Linux Kernel.

No, it is not.

> Because of this, I do not have a good way to scan for all the hard disks

You call forced loading all modules a good way to do anything?

> in the system. The Linux buffer cache is also very buggy, and if you
> ask for a device that's not present, it tries to grow the buffer cache,
> and gets a scolling:
>
> "VFS: cannot grow buffers XXXXXXXX"
>
> Right before the system barfs on 2.3.99.
>
> Can this function get exported please?

Not. Care to explain why are you going to do that, in the first place?
Notice the existance of gendisk_head which might be what you want.
However, I see absolutely no valid reasons for filesystem to scan all
disks. What are you actually trying to do?