Re: eepro100.c

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 05:37:39 EST

> 82557, 82558, 82559 all share the same PCI Device ID so they all appear
> in the driver and in the proc file system as 82557 with this patch we
> have all the information centralized so users are less confused and
> you don't need to carry specs with you or open the box to figure out
> which chip does your NIC carry, right now the driver doesn't take any
> advantage of that information, but since each chip has slightly different
> personality or errata I would like to take advantage of that information
> in the driver, later on.

You dont need it in the driver for anything you are doing right now you can
use lspci. I've had some discussion with intel about fixing the licensing
for the eepro100 driver they released so that we can merge the two (they
have support for more boards, ucode for interrupt mitigation, errata workarounds
and portability and locking flaws.

I have a positive answer I dont quite understand 8) from the Intel lawyers

Alan