inode cache implementation

From: Ravi Wijayaratne (ravi@dropzone.tamu.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 03:29:35 EST

Hi,

I am trying to trace a file read to understand how the
inode cache comes in to the picture. I know how it is
suppose to operate but I do not know how the inode cache
fits in the implementation.

Kerner version: 2.0.33
FS:ext2

I can trace the call to fs/buffer.c/generic_readpage() routine
where VFS(?) calls bmap->ext2_bmap to read the inode. In ext2_bmap
bread is called to read the inode from the disk. bread calls get_blk
to gets the buffer.

I have the following questions

1. Looks like get_blk checks the buffer cache and not inode cache to see
whether the inode is in memory. Is this correct. If so is the inode and
the buffer cache unified ? (and code in fs/inode.c to manage inode
cache never used ?)

2. For large files with sequential access would it be a performance
improvement to pre fetch cache the inodes in memory for future referances
at file open time. ? For storage I/O intensive servers (Like file servers)
this seems to be a good idea. Is there any related work on this being done
on this ?

Thank you

Ravi Wijayaratne