Re: [OT]state space logic execution speed

From: Giuliano Procida (myxie@dev.madge.com)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 02:16:43 EST

On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 02:46:37PM -0500, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> It does not look like the 'gcc folks' have spent much time optimizing
> bit operations.

As far as Linux is concerned #include <linux/bitops.h> for optimised
test/set/clear bit operations (that are also used within the kernel).

I also have a patch somewhere for the various bitops.h that fixes all
the missing const qualifiers.

> Bit manipulation on most machines is not speed-efficient, instead it's
> space-efficient. The fastest running sort, for instance, would have
> a bunch of long keys that are being sorted, one key per record, rather
> than bit-fields, each defining a record.

This may be taking things out of context... but some sorts are
extremely fast. Sorting unique integers within reasonably small ranges
can be done with just loop of set_bit and then a linear scan with
find_next_set_bit.

As to the original question, I don't know what a state space machine
is or how large the array is, I'll be tacit.

Giuliano.