Re: Two VFS questions

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 02:06:58 EST

Alexander Viro wrote:

> Stop it. Now. The obvious reason _not_ to do it is the difference between
> the filesystem and mounting it. IOW, you _refer_ to superblock from
> vfsmount. Nobody promises that you'll have only one mountpoint for given
> filesystem.

Thanks Alexandro - I actually realized it was the case yesterday evening when I
did "mount /test"
and then another "mount -f /test" and both succeeded and as a result (ok, also
because I slightly
corrupted dentry_hashtable[] :) ) all my d_count were wrong all over the place
and one of the /test
suddenly ended up in /lost+found of root. I forgot about that possibility and
thank you for reminding
me.

Besides, I think I even partially answered my own question when I mentioned
that it is much quicker
to pick up an empty superblock than allocating a new one.

Thanks,
Tigran