Re: Avoiding *mandatory* overcommit...

From: Michael Bacarella (mbac@nyct.net)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 21:59:49 EST

I'm not even going to attempt to address all of your points.

What I will say though is that I agree with them. Conversely, I'll say
that overcommitting memory has it's advantages, and that it should be the
default setting. ON THE OTHER HAND, I don't see a good reason to not allow
the sys admin to say "Linux: You must not allocate memory that you do not
have!"

That way, the folks who use Linux to keep people alive (either directly,
or to keep themselves employed, whatever :) can decide whether they want
to invest in the added physical memory/swap space to let a Linux server
run in a no overcommit environment.

The problem is.. who wants to implement it? :)

 Michael Bacarella( mbac@nyct.net ) | (212) 293-2620
 Administration / Development / Support | http://nyct.net/
 [ N e w Y o r k C o n n e c t . N E T ] | info@nyct.net
 Bringing New York The Internet Service It Deserves!