Take #2 [FIX] 2.2.15pre16 build failure due to make menuconfig/xconfig bugs

From: Matthias Andree (ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 21:03:08 EST

Andrzej Krzysztofowicz <kufel!ankry@green.mif.pg.gda.pl> writes:
                        ------ -----
Discrepancy here between your From: address and the address you put into
some of the configuration scripts that you fixed.

> IMHO, much better solution is to use Menuconfig/Xconfig directly from the
> newest 2.3. They are fully backward-compatible and have much more bugs
> fixed (including eg. multiple dependencies for dep_tristate()) ...

I was not seeing the obvious and try that. _BUT_: 2.3 make xconfig looks
a lot different from 2.2 make xconfig.

The 2.3.51 make xconfig backported to 2.2.15 still omits the comments
that have got next to the "BT848 Video For Linux" configuration option,
while make config and make menuconfig still show them. Is that fixed in
2.3.99-pre3?

IF the configuration stuff in scripts/ has changed after 2.3.51, please
drop me a note, I will then update my patch.

Alan, are you willing to pull 2.3's menuconfig/xconfig into 2.2.15 in
spite of these problems to get rid of the possible compile problems
caused by misconfiguration?

The backport fixes the configuration problems causing build failure for
me.

If you're willing to accept the backport, find a diff attached (gzip
compressed). Note it also touches checkconfig.pl and ver_linux.

--
Matthias Andree

Where do you think you're going today?