Re: Avoiding *mandatory* overcommit...

From: Linda Walsh (law@sgi.com)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 21:39:09 EST

David Schwartz wrote:
> Okay, so suppose you are using only memory you are allowed to use. Later
> on, the system runs out of memory and swap. Your process touches one of its
> pages that has been swapped out. The system must page in that page for you
> in order for your process to continue running. The system, unfortunately,
> cannot page in for your process since it can't page out because swap is
> full. Please tell me what the system should do other than kill your process.

---
	One would assume the kernel always maintains at least 1 page for its own
paging purposes.  So I touch my swapped out page.  The kernel reads my page into
the 'last page', and immediately pages out some other page, regaining its "last
page".  Repeat as necessary.  It's a memory thrashing situation, but not fatal.

-l

-- Linda A Walsh | Trust Technology, Core Linux, SGI law@sgi.com | Voice: (650) 933-5338