Re: Clarification & more info (was Re: Running 2.3.99-pre3 headless doesn't create tty<n> devices???

From: Ralf G. R. Bergs (rabe@RWTH-Aachen.DE)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 14:11:16 EST

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 14:04:06 -0500, Ben Collins wrote:

>> Sheesh, I guess my description was a little bit misunderstandable.
>>
>> I'm NOT using devfs. The device nodes ARE there where they belong (under
the
>> /dev directory), BUT they aren't supported by the kernel, i.e. there's no
>> kernel code that listens if you attach a process to the 'tty?' file.
>>
>> Therefore the kernel daemon thread tries to load a suitable module which
>> fails (syslog excerpt follows):
>>
>> modprobe: can't locate module char-major-4
>> /sbin/agetty[544]: /dev/tty3: cannot open as standard input: No such
>> device
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>
>You are SOL, unless you want to use some sort of dummy terminal driver.
>The kernel has no device to map tty's to, so it can't do anything. It's in
>the hands of the admin after that.

I understand. But why has this behavior been changed? Why isn't there sort
of a "compatibility module" that restores the original behavior?

The reason why I have a problem accepting the current situation is that I'd
like to keep the gettys on the consoles running for cases where I *need*
them (read if I f*cked up so badly that I can't access the machine via
telnet and have to connect a keyboard and monitor to it to revive it.)

If I now disable them to get rid of the warnings (and continuously respawing
gettys) I can't enable them when I'm in trouble. OTOH I can't leave them
running because of the above mentioned respawning.

Thanks,

Ralf

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\