Re: Location of shmfs; devfs automagics

From: david parsons (orc@pell.portland.or.us)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 13:52:10 EST

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.GSO.4.10.10003290615400.20715-100000@weyl.math.psu.edu>,
Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu> wrote:

> c) the whole concept of monolytic devfs is a bullshit, excusable
>only because we lack union-mounts. As soon as they are in the devfs will
>be heading out. There _is_ a point in a driver providing a tiny filesystem
>with right set of devices and user union-mounting it on /dev,

    So you're talking about have every driver known to man build their
    own little devfs and stacking it on top of the /dev heap?

    This strikes me as somewhat naive, for a couple of reasons:

    * every unionfs implementation I've ever looked at mentions
      somewhere in their documentation that it's at the very least bad
      for performance to heap on lots of layers

    * you'd want EVERY DRIVER to implement their very own little file
      system so it could automagically union-mount itself onto /dev?
      For some reason, ``code bloat'' is the very first phrase that
      came to my mind.

    I'd not be surprised if I misunderstood you, of course -- you've got
    a fairly impressive BOFH-style wall of obtuse technical jargon that
    you bring out when you disagree with something, but it sure sounds
    like you want to replace the fairly trivial addition of devfs_register
    with a thousand little filesystems all stacked together on top of a
    still-nonexistant unionfs.

                  ____
    david parsons \bi/ Calling down nukes from orbit to deal with that
                   \/ bozo in a ferarri who just cut you off is gratifying,
                                        but it's possibly a bit of overkill.