Re: [OT] Re: automatic routing in 2.2.*

From: david parsons (orc@pell.portland.or.us)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 13:42:12 EST

In article <linux.kernel.200003291023.MAA28478@oboe.it.uc3m.es>,
Peter T. Breuer <ptb@it.uc3m.es> wrote:
>"A month of sundays ago Blu3Viper wrote:"
>> On 28 Mar 2000, david parsons wrote:
>> > And I'm just waiting for the inevitable ``must tweak a magic variable
>> > before the zero subnet is usable'' patch.
>>
>> Well, take it or leave it. It's been in the kernel for a while and argued
>> to death. :)
>
>And what justification has ever been given? Breaking ifconfig
>gratuitously? Making it impossible to run two different generation
>kernels on the same system base? Incompatibility backwards (and
>forwards?). Incompatibility horizontally? Script-breaking?

    In the case where your network arrangement is to bring up the
    network when the device is initialized, then everything gets left
    alone until you take the device away, it doesn't break things, but
    just adds unsightly messages (at least with the Mastodon rc.network
    code all I get is one or two complaints when route runs) to your
    /dev/console output.

    I simply hold my nose and grumble when I see the duplicate routes.

                  ____
    david parsons \bi/ In the menu of broken interfaces, automagic routes
                   \/ are a pretty minor annoyance. ``use ip instead of
                       route'', on the other hand, is simply bad manners.