Re: Timestamp counters on SMP

From: Artur Skawina (skawina@geocities.com)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 06:53:38 EST

> > oh? B8 of the v1.4 MPS spec is the only thing I see adressing
> > this, and it says "Operating system writers should factor in processor
> > variations, such as processor type, family, model and features, to arrive at
> > a configuration that maximizes overall system performance. At a minimum, the
> > MO OS should remain operational and should support the common features of
> > unequal processors."

i don't see what all this argument is about -- the above may be a bit
vague, but it does only confirm what is obvious anyway -- if it's not
possible to provide a constant rate monotonic TSC then it should be
disabled. [the other solution (for the constant, but different on some
cpus case) is pset(), but even then, the default config should be tsc
disabled]

> you expect to have syncronized TSC's, if the clocks are coming from
> diffrent sources?

Actually, do your tsc really drift, or were you just speculating
earlier? I'd guess only the multiplier is different, but can't
verify this as i don't have such a setup...

> In any case, blindly assuming that TSC's are the same is as bad as
> assuming that TSC is present at all, and it's not any harder to check,

It is a reasonable assumption. Expecting all apps to check for same
tsc rate on all cpus isn't.