Re: Location of shmfs; devfs automagics

From: Rask Ingemann Lambertsen (rask-linux@kampsax.k-net.dk)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 23:10:40 EST

Den 29-Mar-00 06:01:50 skrev Richard Gooch fĝlgende om "Re: Location of shmfs; devfs automagics":
> Rask Ingemann Lambertsen writes:
>>
>> Also, perhaps devfs could mount on /dev even if /dev is missing?
>> Currently, you can get a nasty surprice when not being careful during a
>> transition to devfs: If you forget to mkdir /dev before rebooting, you ge=
>> t "Unable to mount devfs on /dev: -36", followed by "unable to open initial
>> console", at which point you can safely forget about booting from that ro=
>> ot fs.

> This seems like an unlikely situation anyway. Prior to devfs, you must
> have had a /dev directory (populated with device nodes), otherwise
> nothing would have worked anyway.

   Admin fsckup - "mv /dev /dev2" in case devfs would cause trouble.

> The kernel can't really help it if the admin removes /dev. What if the
> admin removes /sbin/init ?

   That's much easier to recover from: Simply boot with init=/bin/bash (or
whatever you like).

Regards,

/ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻTŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ\
| Rask Ingemann Lambertsen | E-mail: mailto:rask@kampsax.dtu.dk |
| Please do NOT Cc: to me or the | WWW: http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c948374/ |
| mailing list. I am on the list.| "ThrustMe" on XPilot, ARCnet and IRC |
| 3 kinds of people: Those who can count & those who can't. |