Re: Location of shmfs; devfs automagics

From: Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 22:45:49 EST

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 08:06:09PM -0700, Richard Gooch wrote:
> Michael H. Warfield writes:
> > Patches for devfs support for the Computone boards were submitted
> > weeks ago, but they're not in the kernel sources yet and I doubt their
> > going to make 2.4.0. How many other drivers have no support? Somehow,
> > I suspect that most of the intelligent multiport boards fall into that
> > category and I don't see anything in the pcmcia stuff either. I agree
> > that some things "fall out in the wash" when they register things like
> > standard tty ports and drives. But that still leaves a lot out that
> > haven't been done yet. Sure, I figured out that you aren't having any
> > problems with this because you aren't using any of these things.

> > I also sent Richard (and the devfs list) a list of the ports
> > and devices that the Computone boards use that are not in devfsd. Maybe
> > one day they'll show up in devfsd and maybe they won't. I haven't
> > heard a peep back on that front. I'm sure the patches will make it
> > into the kernel eventually, I'm just not sure when. That's in the
> > hands of the man in charge.

> The problem has been one of time. I've spent the last few weeks first
> at a conference, then travelling, then came back and promptly caught
> the flu (misery for a week). And then bring my main machine up to date
> after an extended absence. So soon I should be able to start tackling
> that mountain of devfs email I've got in my inbox :-( Oh. And I need
> to write a better HOWTO :-(

> I need a clone.

        If you find a good source, let me know... I need to get an order
in for at least three...

        Last week, at an ISS security conference, I gave two one hour talks
on security, ran a BOF on Linux in the Infrastructure, and taught a full
day security course (180 slides) which was basically the same one day course
I did up at LinuxWorld in February where I also ran a BOF on cryptography
in the Linux kernel. Took me all last weekend just to get my voice back.

        In addition to my NORMAL (and I use THAT word real loosely)
responsiblities as Senior Researcher and Fellow at Internet Security
Systems, they want me to take my one day tutorials and turn them into a
two day instructional class and begin work on a course in secure coding
techniques. Plus there is the Computone drivers, plus there is the Samba
team work, plus there is smbfs and smbmount (way WAY down on the priority
list, unfortunately). Just got done with a chapter for a new Samba book
that's in edit right now and just finished up reviewing some of the work
of a fellow Samba team member who is writing another book... Sigh...

        Plus I've got to carve out some time to play with the grandbaby... :-)

        I know Blu3Viper means well when he suggests that I roll up my
sleaves and contribute back to the devfs project. Quite frankly, I'm up
to my neck already and could use some help back my way with my projects.
Oh well... Same story all over... Best I can do in some cases (such as
devfs) is provide the best feedback I can and bitch like crazy. Wish
I had more cycles to do more than that. I'm surprised I squeezed out
enough to hammer in the devfs changes into the Computone drivers as is,
but that just had to get done and it was still late for the deadline to
boot.

        You and me are in the same boat and lacking the same paddles...

        Sorry you weren't feeling well. Hope you are doing better... Been
there and fortunately ducked a couple of near misses just recently. Downside
to having a new grandson is being reintroduced to the world of miniature
Typhoid Marys once again. Got rid of the kids and my health improves...
Grandbaby enters stage left and I start get socked by cold / flu / RSV (that
sucker is NASTY) / creeping crud just like when mine were little... Sigh...
Can't afford to be down like that, but fortunately I have very liberal
telecommute privs... :-)

        Oh well... Getting off topic now...

> Regards,

> Richard....