Re: Timestamp counters on SMP

From: Boris Okun (bokun@home.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 22:35:39 EST

"H. Peter Anvin" wrote:

> Followup to: <E12a59F-00016T-00@the-village.bc.nu>
> By author: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > > Do you know of any application using TSC?
> >
> > Several
> >
> > > If yes, how does this application work on i386?
> >
> > They use RDTSC. Unless you set magic flags RDTSC is accessible from user
> > space on anything from a later 486 stepping onwards.
> >

> I think the question is how do they run on an 80386. The answer is,
> "they don't, and it doesn't matter."
>
> -hpa

Umm, Thank You!
That was indeed the second question:-)

The first one was what are they?

My only gripe is with software which assumes that all TSC's have the
same rate and claims to be working all the time. If it works on 80386,
it can work with different TSC's. If it works on 80386 and does not
work with different TSC's, then it is broken.

I really would appreciate if somebody could answer my first question.

Boris