Re: Location of shmfs; devfs automagics

From: Blu3Viper (david@killerlabs.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 20:54:09 EST

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > Note: the precise wording is "MKOLDCOMPAT" and similar.
> Hmmm... Should have said that in your message then.

I didn't think I had to be quite so precise.

> Ah ha! What I was afraid of. Already been there.
> In other words, it doesn't fix anything. Sigh...

Direct communication with Richard Gooch tends to get things solved in very
short order. He is a busy man, helpful emails get a lot more than crass
emails.

> Yeah, well... Too bad devfsd doesn't cover everything listed in
> devices.txt. If you are going to remap the known universe, you shouldn't
> be selective about what you are going to support and what you aren't.

Richard has commented on this and has solicited reports about what isn't
supported. He isn't being selective, he is human and has a finite amount of
time each day. Going through 100 megs of source is a tedious job. Because
much of this work means changes to other people's code, a lot of people feel
their turf is being intruded upon. And normally the reaction is irritable.

> Ok... Then tell me, how do I tell devfsd to map all devices that
> come up ttf/{0-255} to /dev/ttyF{0-255} and cuf/{0-255} to /dev/cuf{0-255}
> and ip2/ipl{0-3} to /dev/ip2ipl{0-3} and ip2/stat{0-3} to /dev/ip2stat{0-3}
> for the Computone boards? I haven't figured it out yet. It's not in
> devfsd, in spite of the fact that the ttyF{n}, cuf{n}, ip2ipl{n}, and
> ip2stat{n} devices are listed in devices.txt.

I don't have this answer. Richard is the guy to talk with.

> It would have been nice and would have made sense if there had
> been some sort of perl-like regex for the config file. Something
> like "s/ttf\/\([0-9]*\)/ttyF\1/" where we could have configured it
> on the fly for devices that were never put in there. I don't see where
> I can do something like that. All I see in devfsd is a whole series of
> special cases and string compares which could have been a general purpose
> regex engine.

Instead of expecting one man to invent everything that everyone is pleased
with, submit suggestions and help out with the development.

> I also don't see a thing in there for the USB devices. I don't
> see devfs creating anything for my usb printer when I plug it in, or the
> usbmouse either, for that matter. I've got 2.3.99pre3 and I've got
> devfsd running. If these things are supported, why isn't anything
> happening?

I don't have a USB printer, but I do have USB mice and other USB things.
/dev/misc/ probably has your usb mouse. That's where mine are. my usb hub,
camera, web cam, etc are all in the right places. The /dev/v4l/ has a lot
of it naturally.

> Patches for devfs support for the Computone boards were submitted
> weeks ago, but they're not in the kernel sources yet and I doubt their
> going to make 2.4.0. How many other drivers have no support? Somehow,
> I suspect that most of the intelligent multiport boards fall into that
> category and I don't see anything in the pcmcia stuff either. I agree
> that some things "fall out in the wash" when they register things like
> standard tty ports and drives. But that still leaves a lot out that
> haven't been done yet. Sure, I figured out that you aren't having any
> problems with this because you aren't using any of these things.

I understand your frustration. But I do think that working with Richard
instead of against him will get things solved and supported much more
quickly. If I had just a few more minutes of time, I'd help do some code.

> I also sent Richard (and the devfs list) a list of the ports
> and devices that the Computone boards use that are not in devfsd. Maybe
> one day they'll show up in devfsd and maybe they won't. I haven't
> heard a peep back on that front. I'm sure the patches will make it
> into the kernel eventually, I'm just not sure when. That's in the
> hands of the man in charge.

I'm positive you'll see it show up. People do have lives to live as well as
write kernel code ya know =)

> Read the docs. Did the patches to the drivers and submitted same.
> Even did the patches to the install scripts to recognize when devfs is
> running and create the links instead of devices. Even downloaded the
> latest devfsd, which is why I know it's broken and not supporting
> everything in devices.txt.

Then you're going great. Keep sending those patches.

> Just broke was my experience. But I guess I use a few toys that
> you don't.

Yes, you do. If I had your hardware, I'd be fixing up the drivers so they
worked.

I've done it for various things in the past until the patches got merged,
when I get toys that aren't supported, I start building support. Eventually
my widget does it's widgety things in the mainstream kernel or whatever
software.

-d