Re: Location of shmfs; devfs automagics

From: Blu3Viper (david@killerlabs.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 17:52:35 EST

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> No, it's not. It's not like "all other drivers" -- NO other filesystems
> driver mount automagically.

your root partition is mounted. if you specify a root system on a device
other than your typical /dev/hda, the driver for that critter kicks in and
sets things up.

/dev is such a crucial part of the system it makes very good sense to start
support for it automatically. just like it makes real good sense to have
the console support in the kernel because pretty much everyone uses it.

> It's a matter to sticking to existing successful practice unless you
> have a *very* good reason to diverge. I see no such reason in this
> case.

imo, ease and simplicity are very good reasons. reducing the number of
steps necessary for the majority of systems v.s. adding one lilo option to
disable the auto start of it is a win.

-d