Re: Kernel 2.2.14, dirty buffers, stalls in interactivity of system/NFS-clients ...

From: Bryan -TheBS- Smith (thebs@theseus.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 16:25:23 EST

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Mark Hahn wrote:
> I've never seen irq priority effect a system in any meaninful way.
> do you really see the vortex starving the nic?

Personally, I think the Vortex is starving the whole PCI bus.

> besides, isn't irq7 usually the parport, and wouldn't that
> starve most IO?

Nope, this is how the interrupt controller is mapped:

   0
   1
   2 <---------------- 9
   3 | 10
   4 | 11
   5 | 12
   6 \ 13
   7 \ 14
                       15

The interrupts 9-15 are mapped through IRQ 2. The history behind
this is the old Intel controllers. For the PC/AT, a 2nd one was
added. All current mainboard chipsets emulate this scheme.

I've had problems with any IDE-integrated chipsets and use of IRQs
14/15 regardless of their enabling/disabling on mainboard. I sure
wish this wasn't such a production system or I'd give this a quick
"try."

> I have a system that at the momemnt doesn't think its parport
> has a fifo, so does 50-80K int/second during printing, with zero
> noticable problem. besides, nics are not especially sensitive
> to interrupt-handler latency...

I really have no idea what it is.

I have run into one other person complaining to "too lazy" dirty
buffer flushes with the 2.2.14 kernel. I upgraded to the 2.2.14
kernel with numerous NFS patches to fix stability issues with my
Solaris clients.

Frankly, I didn't like the setup when I first got here. I don't
like using Linux to serve out Solaris clients. Linux, FreeBSD,
Irix, yes, Solaris, NO. I have a bone to pick with the consultant
on the hardware selection too.

-- TheBS

--
 Bryan "TheBS" Smith -- Engineer, IT Professional and Hacker
      E-mail:  mailto:thebs@theseus.com,b.j.smith@ieee.org