Re: /proc fs bug?

From: Nicholas Leippe (nickl@mycomputer.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 11:17:58 EST

Peter Steiner wrote:

> >I've just played with it some more over ssh (it's my home box) and I've
> >narrowed it to my ll alias which is:
> >ll='ls -alF --color=tty'
> >[...]
> >Here's an strace of 'ls -l /proc/451':
>
> I have the same problem here. What process is 451? In my case it's
> mgetty waiting on an unconnected line. When I connect something to the
> line it immediately unstucks. It also unstucks when killing mgetty with
> kill <pid>. Killing the stuck process (eg. ls -l /proc/451) doesn't
> work here either.
>
> Peter
> --
> _ x ___ p.steiner@t-online.de (Peter Steiner)
> / \_/_\_ /,--' Linux User #55148 (http://counter.li.org/)
> \/>'~~~~//
> \_____/ perl -e'while(<>){s/=\n//g;s/=([\dA-F]{2})/chr(hex($1))/eg;print;}'

I'll have to get back to you on that -- sshd isn't responding right now for
some reason so I can't get in to play... (actually it won't even ping :( )
I'm not sure what 451 is/was - I do know that I do have an mgetty process
set up for COM1, but I'm also not sure that that's the only process entry that
causes problems for ls/cat. I may not be able to look at it until I get home
tonight unless I can get a response from it... I'll keep trying though.

Nick

--
Nobody will ever need more than 640 kB RAM.
                -- Bill Gates, 1983