Re: To IDE/ATAPI guy: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

From: Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 11:07:11 EST

On Tue, Mar 28 2000, Richard Torkar wrote:
> One question first. Why is it that almost no one had any problems with too
> long ide cables a year and a half ago but today many people do?

ATA-66, most likely. The cable length has been cut to 18" max.

> I tried to copy a file from a 'home made [tm]' vcd.
> I can copy every other file, but not files from my home made
> vcd's. I can't read them when using my dvdplayer either but that
> could be a problem with my dvd software.

You can't copy vcd sectors directly, you have to use the CDROMREAD*
ioctl to get to the data. There are several video-cd players out
there that do that, so you just need to get one of them.

> My IDE cable has not been too long the last 2 years so I don't know what
> should cause this problem now...

The error below is not caused by wrong cable.

> kernel hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> kernel hdc: command error: error=0x51
> kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 3272
> kernel: ATAPI device hdc:
> kernel: Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
> kernel: Illegal mode for this track or incompatible medium -- (asc=0x64, ascq=0x00)

There you are, the command used to read the sector is not right for
video cd.

--
*  Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>
*  Linux CD/DVD-ROM, SuSE Labs