Re: Warning, user cutting in: Kernel 2.2.14, dirty buffers, stalls in performance ...

From: Daniel J Blueman (daniel.j.blueman@stud.umist.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 10:06:30 EST

Hi,

> 4. I really think the hardware is the ultimate culprit (I didn't
> design or pick it either). I mean, that ICP Vortex controller is
> probably stalling the entire, single PCI bus (single PCI on the
> i440BX chipset) on these writes. We are hammering this server hard
> over our 100Mbps network (totally switched here). IMHO, the
> network and RAID controllers should be on separate PCI busses
> (AGP network/RAID anyone ;-). Anyone concur with this?

Do a 'cat /proc/interrupts' and see what devices are sharing any
interrupts - I'm not saying this is causing a problem, but eg if the network
and RAID SCSI cards were sharing an interrupt line, that would hurt
performance a bit.

Just a guess but, it could be the NFSv2 locking issues?

- Dan
Daniel J Blueman
Undergraduate - BSc Computing Science
UMIST university - Manchester