Re: Location of shmfs; devfs automagics

From: Thierry Vignaud (tvignaud@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 07:43:41 EST

"H. Peter Anvin" wrote:

> Two alerts regarding filesystem hierarchy:
>
> The location that has been suggested, /var/shm, is a very bad choice.
> /var is a potentially-large filesystem which isn't necessarily
> available during the early boot sequence, may be remote, etc.
> Furthermore, /var is used for on-disk data.
>
> The proper location for entities like this is /dev. The only sensible
> location for this is /dev/shm.

then if you choose to umount your devfs in order to use the old /dev/
entries, you get an error message, have to umount /dev/shm first, which
may be used by apps, ....

> The second is that devfs seems to think it is above the normal way of
> doing things (unlike ALL OTHER filesystems, including procfs and
> shmfs) and not only will mount itself on /dev automatically, but will
> do so *by default*. This is incredibly antisocial behaviour, and has
> no justification. If there are conditions under which you would need
> devfs before you have mount(8) available -- which I do not believe is
> ever the case -- it may be justifiable to have it as an option, but
> making it default behaviour is pretty much unacceptable. Use
> /etc/fstab like everything else, please.

there is the no_mount option...

As for mount, the fhs _requires_ mount to be available at early boot
time (you've always the possibilty to make /bin, /sbin & /usr some fs to
mount :-). You just can't manage all impossible cases)

--
www.linux-mandrake.com
somewhere between the playstation and the craystation