Re: PCI probing in slot order?

From: Martin Mares (mj@suse.cz)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 15:57:29 EST

Hi Jeff!

> Probing in slot order has the advantage of being an ordering which is
> known and obvious to the user. It is counter intuitive to have cards in
> slots 1, 2, 3 get attached to drivers in the order 3, 1, 2, for example.
>
> Further, several kernel subsystems have their own command line options
> to allow the user to specify an arbitrary order. It might be useful to
> replace or supplement that with slot-based ordering.

   Of course, but we need to solve it for modules as well :-(

   I think that we should define some way of matching PCI slots with specific
device names, so that the user can define things like `eth0 is the ethernet
card in PCI slot 00:01' and so on. Devfsd seems to be the ideal place for
such things, we just need to make devfs export the PCI location of the cards
to user space.

                                Have a nice fortnight

--
Martin `MJ' Mares <mj@ucw.cz> <mj@suse.cz> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/