Re: [a bit OT] encrypting filesystems

From: Marc Mutz (Marc@Mutz.com)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 13:41:45 EST

Jelle Foks wrote:

<snip>
> > I need to encrypt a 100 gig drive and all the implementations seem to use
> > loopback, which seems to loop a bit too well on the 2 gig mark...

You need not use files as underlying for loop devices. /dev/hdax
(probably /dev/mdx in your case) will do. I'm not sure if this fixes the
2GB problem though. Just try.
  If it fails, try ppdd. It does not use loopback.

> Hmm, maybe it's a bit crazy, but why not use 50 separate pieces of 2GB
> encrypted loop devices, and paste them together using RAID? (can linux
> handle 50 loop devices simultaneously?).

<snip>

Maybe, but not raid-(underlying)-devices.

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <Marc@Mutz.com>        http://marc.mutz.com/Encryption-HOWTO/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's: 0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)