Re: Endless overcommit memory thread.

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@pincoya.inf.utfsm.cl)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 12:30:08 EST

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> said:
> > >a single fixed memory pool on a compartmented mode system or processes can
> > >signal across the security boundary using out of memory as indications.
> >
> > Only on overcommited systems.
>
> Wrong. Think about it

What they are talking about is a system with rigid limits: You ask for
160Mb RAM, you got it if <= your limit, if > limit, it is denied. This
means essentially static allocation of memory (even exact RAM + swap, so
you can't find out how much the machine is using ATM) to any and all
possible users, so you can only run out of your quota, not into system
limits. Boy, would _I_ like to have a machine like that for, say, a dozen
users @ 500Mb each (why skimp here?) and run it as Thompson and Ritchie
envisioned...

--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl