Socket problem.

From: Peter Zaitsev (pz@spylog.ru)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 03:28:32 EST

I'm running linux 2.2.14 with glibc 2.1.2 on SMP machine and have discovered the following problem:

The system is running HTTP server. No matter if this is standart apache 1.3.12 or hand writtend multi freaded server.
The server gets many small requests - about 100 requests per second wich are typically very small. The problem is it takes really long time to connect the server even there are many processes waiting in accept in a time !
This happens SOMETIMES and I can't really find then. But it seems to be related to a number of request - the problem appears then a number of requests per second is about 100. each request includes connect processling and disconect, no keep-alives are used.

Is this seems to be a known problem with no fixes yet or it did not appear for anyone else ?
The system is not loaded high - about 80% is idle and context swithes per second does not cross 2000.
The system is 2*PII550 so it should be handle such thing.

Any Ideas ?