Re: Endless overcommit memory thread.

From: Linda Walsh (law@sgi.com)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 21:16:52 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

> You have to have some per security level swap pools or randomising (and the
> per security swap pool is more effective anyway) since it stops people slapping
> a viterbi codec across the memory signalling and laughing at your randomised
> errors.

---
	Good point....um, what's a "viterbi" codec?  Now I wonder if a VMware
type of approach with each VM having it's own 'committed' virtual swap would
approach the type of compartmentalisation needed (?).  Would have to figure
out a way for different VM's at the same security level to communicate w/each
other...

-l

-- Linda A Walsh | Trust Technology, Core Linux, SGI law@sgi.com | Voice: (650) 933-5338