Re: Cylinder limits jumper for drives over 32GB

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 19:56:13 EST

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Daniel J Blueman wrote:

> Hi Andre,
>
> > You have to have something returned from the kernel to even attempt a WAG
> > on geometry........Since we do this in the kernel, why should the resolts
> > not be exported to USER-SPACE? This way ALL user-space utilities are
> > using what the kernel declares...........
>
> Is WAG some sort of translation?

WAG == Wild Arse Guess..........

You need the heads, sectorsize, and capacity to get cylinders.
Also track size can be useful........

> I agree with exporting the information that the kernel works out to
> user-space. That is truly good.
>
> What I'm saying is, is it not possible to only export LBA information? I

You have to export what ever the partition geometry is or you can not
correctly handle the user-space.

cat /proc/ide/hdb/geometry
physical 6256/16/63
logical 782/128/63

physical is what the drive is truly made of in CHS.
logical is the way the drive is accessed, and can be CHS or LBA.

> hate to see disk geometry everywhere (fdisk, hdparm, /proc/ide...) when the
> CHS idea is now just an abstract way of looking at the disk - and doesn't
> get close to how things are layed out on big disks anyway.
>
> The sooner CHS information is not exported, the better, IMHO

cat /proc/ide/hdg/geometry
physical 79406/16/63
logical 79406/16/63

This is CHS in both places........how will you deal with this??
Serious question........

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy