Re: automatic routing in 2.2.*

From: Peter T. Breuer (ptb@it.uc3m.es)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 17:11:00 EST

"A month of sundays ago Blu3Viper wrote:"
> If you don't like the proper route being added, then specify a netmask of
> /32 and no route will be added.

I'm sure you know that I'll grumble "I never asked for a route". It
shouldn't second guess me. And I know that you'll say that this was
added for compatibility with o/s's that behave equally impolitely.

On the other mater, how am I supposed to remove an alias?
ifconfig lo:7 down took out lo too! ifconfig lo localhost
brought lo:7 up with it. It's there for keeps, it seems.

> > 1) I believe I just did "ifconfig lo:7 machineB" on machineA and
> > immediately lost contact. I think I can guess why. It now doesn't
> > have a route to localhost, having just changed the static routes
> > through the whole loopback interface.
> > 2) I can't get an alias to go away. If I ifconfig down lo:7 and
> > then take out the entire loopback interface with ifconfig lo
> > down, when I do ifconfig lo up, lo:7 will reappear also.

Peter