Re: Linux makes 30G WD disk confused about its identity

From: Guest section DW (dwguest@win.tue.nl)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 19:09:37 EST

On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 08:48:57PM +0000, Dale Amon wrote:

> Using the manufacturers DOS boot application, the drive
> info looks like this:
>
> C H S MB
> Default 59598 16 63 30760
> Currently 16383 16 63 8455
> Rom BIOS 3740 255 63 30764
>
> When I boot into Linux it sees the drive at the "current"
> settings, which I believe are getting forced in when
> I use fdisk to create the partition table

Please, no conjectures but facts.
What are the kernel boot messages? (dmesg | grep hd)
What does hdparm -i say?

> (cfdisk can't deal with it at all until I do this)

Probably you forgot to read the man page and did not
give the -z option.

> I've tried changing CHS in fdisk and it seems to take
> them... but if I exit and restart the program, everything
> is back to the values in the "Currently" line again.

Of course. fdisk will tell you what the kernel says
about disk geometry, but it does not change the
kernel's opinions.

If you want to force something upon the kernel, give
kernel boot parameters, or write something in the
/proc/ide/.../settings fields.

Read the Large Disk HOWTO.

(But with 2.2.14 things should work correctly by default -
I do not recall problems, that is, not unless you use
a disk manager.)

Andries

[P.S. In case you reply, also give the kernel version
very precisely. For example, 2.2.14 and 2.2.14-SuSE
are very different animals.]