Re: permission denied on exec of unexistent file?

From: Tim Walberg (tewalberg@mediaone.net)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 18:18:25 EST

Here's what I expect is happening:

In the /bin/blah case, bash has a fully-qualified command
name to work with, so it doesn't have to do a path search.
Rather, it proceeds directly to doing a stat or open on the
file which for some reason fails with an EPERM (I'm not going
to argue whether that's right or wrong without perusing the source).

In the second case, bash must do a path search, so it does
stats on /path/blah for every path in your PATH. Since those
all fail, it prints that fact - i.e. command not found. Two
different mechanisms resulting in two different but understandable
error messages.

I think the argument could be made either way. Some might
see this as two completely different scenarios, since one
involves a path search and one doesn't. Others might expect,
as it seems you do, that the base of the "problem" is really
the same, so the error messages should be the same. I can't
say as I really have a strong opinion either way. But I
figured it might help if we understand from whence cometh
the difference...

                                tw

On 03/25/2000 22:12 +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 09:50:58PM +0200, Oleg Drokin wrote:
>> > Hello!
>> >
>> > I just found something that looks somewhat weird:
>> > mordor:~$ /bin/nonexistent_binary
>> > bash: ./nonexistent_binary: Permission denied
>> > mordor:~$ nonexistent_binary
>> > bash: nonexistent_binary: command not found
>>
>> Some issue here (smae kernel, same bash)
>>
>> > Shouldn't first attempt also say "command not found"?
>>
>> It should.
>>
>> > BASH_VERSION='2.03.0(1)-release'
>> > I'm running 2.3.99-pre3
>>
>> Seems to be related to the fs/exec.c changes in pre3
>>

>> Christoph
>>
>> --
>> Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.
>>
>> -
End of included message