Re: NFS stops dead in 2.3.99pre3

From: Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 14:44:09 EST

> However, with 2.3.99pre3, it eventually stopped, never to
> resume, and I see the following on the network:

> Note that the NFS server is still alive and servicing requests
> from "caramon", but not "tasslehoff".

> There are no messages in the logs on "flint" to indicate why
> it's not responding to requests. Tasslehoff contains the
> following kernel messages:

Hi,

Is 'flint' actually seeing the requests from 'tasslehoff'?

>From what I can see, there is nothing usual in your tcpdump: the
client (tasslehoff) is sending out the NFS requests but never
receiving a reply. After the major timeout, it therefore blocks and
waits 5 secs or so until retrying. All this is a correct treatment of
the timeout error.

You'll have to compare what tasslehoff is sending out with what flint
actually sees and how it responds in order to diagnose how the RPC
calls are screwing up.

Cheers,
  Trond