re: endless overcommit memory thread

From: NightRanger (khudson@rohan.sdsu.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 19:29:39 EST

> What about malicious users, viruses etc... I don't think that it's right
> to have a badly designed program bring down the entire system.

the answer to badly designed programs is to kick badly designed
programmers in the rear :) no seriously, the answer to that question is to
educate programmers to the right way to code, and then badly designed
programs will be a thing of the past. its just too bad that some people
who shouldnt have access to computers do... thats when we start getting
idiots diong idiot things (ie: malicious users).
as far as viruses go...to my knowledge (and please, correct if wrong)
there hasn't been _one_ virus that a UNIX-based (or Linux-based) system
has ben suceptable to. And no, DOS viruses attacking Linux on umsdos
partitions doesn't count, as those stupid things were written for stupid
dos instead of linux...however the possibility is nonetheless there for a
virus, but since most (and i use the term lightly now that idiot script
kiddie wannabe k-rad l33t etc. losers now run linux/unix boxes cause its
the cool thing to do) sysadmins have a grip on things, they can detect
that sort of shit before it hits the fan.

 Kelsey Hudson khudson@ctica.com
 Associate Software Engineer
 Compendium Technologies, Inc (619) 725-0771