Re: [OT] Paging Alan Cox

From: Steve Dodd (steved@loth.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 15:40:31 EST

On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 04:11:31PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:

[ORBS, etc.]
> SPAM itself is a large problem. I choose to filter my mail because I get
> so much junk otherwise (think how many web pages/lists/etc that spambots
> can pick it up from).
>
> Given a more spam free world I'd love not to have to filter

If I promise to say one thing in a civilised way and then shut up, is
that OK? :-) I don't want to see nanae flamewars here any more than anyone
else does..

My two problems with ORBS are (i) the multi-level relay listing, and (ii) the
relay testing. The latter is irrelevant to your use of it, so let's skip that.

(i) may be a problem, though -- for example, Demon's mail servers do end up in
ORBS every now then, and I think most people would admit that they're not
normally technically clueless. I imagine some of their users might have useful
mail for you (bug reports, etc.).. Would the benefits of using something like
the MAPS RSS (which doesn't list multi-level relays) perhaps outweigh the costs
(some relays not being spotted)?

Steve

--
Horses are forbidden to eat fire hydrants in Marshalltown, Iowa.