RE: Overcommitable memory??

From: David Schwartz (davids@webmaster.com)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 14:06:36 EST

> On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, David Schwartz wrote:
>
> > If there was a portable way to detect imminent resource
> > exhaustion before malloc starts to fail, I'd happily use it.
>
> If there was a way to look into the future, I'm sure we'd
> all happily use it :)

        That's amusing, but surely the kernel knows when it's swapping.

        One problem with making such a thing portable is there is no metric that
exists in every kernel that gives this information. And, of course, swap
being in use does not mean that the system is swapping in the sense that
performance is suffering.

        DS