Re: Cylinder limits jumper for drives over 32GB

From: Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 18:50:12 EST

David Elliott writes:

    I recently purchased a 40 GB hard-drive and need to be able to boot
    off of it as well as use the full 40 GB in Linux.

This sounds as if this was a Maxtor?

    Unlike other drives, where cylinder limits only changes the cylinders
    reported, on this drive it also changes the LBA capacity to 66055248.
    I can only assume that the real LBA capacity is then stored
    elsewhere.

You can try and look at the identify data (e.g. in /proc/ide/hdX/identify).
[I wouldnt mind a copy (together with the dmesg info) - have never seen
this disk myself.]

    So, there are two possible solutions.
<ugly hacks deleted>

    Note that the C*H*S is not exactly the full capacity of the drive as
    reported. My drive has 4982*255*63 = 80035830 reported by EZ-Drive
    while my drive's LBA capacity is 80041248. So I lose a few sectors.

On a recent 2.3.* you can specify the geometry as 63*16*79406 or as
63*32*39703 and not lose anything. But that was the unimportant question.
Concerning your first question:

So far people's reports have been a bit confused; there is a J46 jumper
and a utility JUMPON.EXE that has a stronger effect than the jumper alone,
but the details are not clear. Some report that the effect of this jumper
is that access past 32.8 GB causes I/O errors.

If this is really true, then nothing can be done. However, if only the
capacity is misreported, then this is a common problem that can be solved
by specifying an explicit geometry on the kernel command line.

(Further information is welcome, so that I can update the last few
sentences of
        http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/Large-Disk-11.html#jumperbig
)

Andries