Re: cx register problem in loop_cast.c

From: Dale Amon (amon@vnl.com)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 17:52:28 EST

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Marc Mutz wrote:

> That the patch is against a stable kernel does not mean it is stable
> itself. many developers work against stable kernels, because their
> working system is their test sytem at the same time.
> Also, the brokenness of the particular cipher you mention is well
> documented in the Encryption-HOWTO and the man page of the patched
> losetup.

Understood. But all patches are not created equal. Kerneli.org v2.2/ is
looked at as the official international tree, just as kernel.org is the official
non-international tree. Some arbitrary experimental patch somewhere I would
agree. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

And yes, I've got a copy of your how to sitting in my home directory. I
really, really did intend to read it last week... Or perhaps it was the
week before last... But realistically speaking, the Encryption-HowTo is
not the first place I would go hunting for the answer to a kernel compilation
problem. I'd go there if I had trouble using the stuff.

> But please, try to make the CAST algorithm work for the CryptoAPI. I
> don't think Alex Kjeldaas is actively working on that patch :-(

Well, if you put it that way, perhaps I'll take a look. yeah, go ahead,
twist my arm! The way things are going I'll be busy in this area anyway over
the next 6 months or so. I presume then I can call on you for advice if I
do some digging? ;-)