Re: Using a Creative DVD-RAM RAM1216S drive under Linux kernel 2.2

From: Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 08:13:50 EST

On Wed, Mar 22 2000, Adam Heath wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Charles C. H. Jui wrote:
>
> > After a lot of struggle and lack of useful information from Creative Labs
> > North America, I have stumbled onto the secret of running the CREATIVE
> > DVD-RAM RAM1216S drive under Linux kernel 2.2.
>
> > [snip]
>
> I have this exact same model of drive, and it has been problematic for me as
> well. I can read cdroms fine. I can't rip them, however. I also can't
> write.
>
> I applied your patch, but it actually made things worse. Running 2.2.14, I
> couldn't write to the drive at all. Running 2.2.15pre15, I could mkreiserfs,
> or mkfs.ext2, but couldn't write any data. The scsi bus would disconnect
> itself.
>
> 2.2.15pre15 with your patch applied actually made mkfs.ext2 appear to try to
> write beyond the end of the device, and spewed 1000s of errors across my
> console. And after a couple of minutes of this(ctrl-c did not work), the scsi
> bus was offline, and nothing responded.
>
> I can say that you patch does not appear to affect normal operations.

2.2.15-pre already has the 6-byte command issue fixed. Regardless of
what the switch statement contains, we initially use 10-byte read/writes
to talk to the drive and only fall back to 6-byte commands if the
10-byte variants fail. So the current kernel solution isn't an
all-or-nothing one.

So I suggest just using 2.2.15-pre and if that doesn't work, well
we need to fix something else. I have a SD-W1111 drive myself and
it works fine in 2.2.15-pre.

--
*  Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>
*  Linux CD-ROM Maintainer