innaccurate accounting (since approx 2.3.40)

From: Adam Schrotenboer (ajschrotenboer@lycosmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 23:19:11 EST

I noticed, as many others did, that the kernel doesn't seem to do
accounting properly for processes that yield their time slice. This
causes top to display incorrect CPU usage numbers for processes.

I run the d.net client almost all of the time, and I have noted that it
gets 'credited' for twice the time it actually uses (unless it can
somehow use 2 seconds of CPU in only on sec real time, and I sincerely
doubt it.) Also, most of the time the idle is said to be taking some
2000% (maybe a few decimal orders of magnitude more. I can't remember
right now, and I'm using Windoze right now).

Now clearly, this is impossible. I understand that this is not life
threatening, nor a major breakage. However, when the kernel makes it
into the big time, people are going to expect everything, like top and
related tools, to show, if not totally accurate, reasonable numbers.

Is this going to be fixed? Can it be fixed? Is it just that top can't
use these numbers properly, and it needs some re-education? Other
possiblities???