partx

From: Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 17:01:40 EST

Now that there was some interest in such a program, I yesterday
wrote a little program, partx, that is willing to add or remove
the partitions the kernel knows about.
See ftp://ftp.cwi.nl/pub/aeb/partx-tst.tar.gz .

(In util-linux one already finds the skeleton programs
addpart and delpart. Now addpart allows you to say

        # ./addpart /dev/hde 12 1000000 20000

and have a new hde12:

        # grep hde /proc/partitions
          33 0 35673120 hde
          33 12 10000 hde12

(starting at sector 1000000, and 20000 sectors large).
And delpart removes it again:

        # ./delpart /dev/hde 12

In case /dev/hde already has a partition table, we can
read that:

        # ./partx -a /dev/hde
        # grep hde /proc/partitions
          33 0 35673120 hde
          33 1 96358 hde1
          33 2 6136830 hde2
          33 3 31 hde3
          33 4 835380 hde4
          33 5 28603701 hde5

Note: this is not fdisk, these programs do not write
anything to disk but just tell the kernel how the disk
is partitioned. For the time being overlap is not allowed.

Today these are just throwaway programs, but in case this
is useful, the kernel and user space sides can be improved
to do whatever people need at installation time or at boot time.
Comments are welcome.)

Andries - aeb@cwi.nl