Re: [2.3.99pre2] [CORRUPTION] Doh! Corruption problems again...

From: Stefan Smietanowski (stefan@hanse.com)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 13:27:48 EST

Hi.

<DMA timeouts coming very fast in a running system>

> Kernels: lots: 2.2.15pre14, 2.3.99pre2, to name a few.
>
> Drives: Seagate. I can't get to my home system right now, so I
> can't be more specific.

Seagate. Seagate. Hmmmm, this does ring a bell for me at least.

At work we've built a few machines with Seagate disks and they all see
these DMA problems, and we get it with 2.2.12-20 (the one with RH6.1) as
well as 2.2.14 (unpatched).

For us it does not matter if we run it on BX, GX or on for example VIA
Apollo PRO133A, which we tried as we tend to try different types of
hardware.

The disks involved have been of the 'new' UATA66 variety Seagate 4.3 and
8.x GB drives.

Sad to say we hate these disks, but otoh we're not using them anywhere
where performance is needed, we basically use them to build firewalls
but we won't be buying more Seagate drives until the problems are at
least identified.

> Does this match your experiences?

At least that's what we keep seeing.

// Stefan

--
Stefan Smietanowski
Head Unix Administrator, Hanse Communication