Re: [linux-usb] power management (WAS Re: [linux-usb] OHCI crash)

From: Jamie Lokier (lu@tantalophile.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 13:15:01 EST

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> In fact, the best is a 3 stage request actually. Some drivers need to
> vmalloc huge amounts of memory before suspend (the frame buffer devices
> may have to backup the VRAM content).

That depends what kind of suspend. If I shut the lid of my laptop, I do
_not_ want it to spend 5 seconds swapping before it can save the 4MB of
video state. That's what suspend-to-disk is for. But when I shut the
lid, I want sleep , which means there's enough power to retain the
memory (including VRAM) but devices like USB controllers are powered
off.

-- Jamie