Re: scheduler ignores need_resched flag in 2.2.x and 2.3.x?

From: Dimitris Michailidis (dimitris@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 20:52:38 EST

Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com> writes:
> If we choose the above way to fix the lost need_resched flag, we would
> also
> need to apply the similar fix to two other functions for the SMP version
> :
>
> 1. smp_local_timer_interrupt()
> 2. update_process_times()

These two are fine. They set the need_resched flag of the process whose
counter they decrement, and if the timer interrupt arrives right before a
context switch they charge the process being descheduled. Why would you
change this? If you want to be more correct than we are now you can add

prev->need_resched = 0

in __schedule_tail() to make sure a process starts out with a clean
need_resched when it resumes execution, but that's minor.

--
Dimitris Michailidis                    dimitris@engr.sgi.com